Friday, January 28, 2011

Pak govt is against entertainment industry

'Pak govt is against entertainment industry'

Ali Zafar
Ali Zafar
Ali Zafar, who has bagged a nomination for best debut, tells us why a section of Pakistan is averse to his Indian ambitions

How has life changed post Tere Bin Laden?
I wrote an email to my director Abhishek Sharma stating that he has completely changed my life and for the better.

Was Bollywood always on your mind?
Like everyone else I also grew up watching Dilip saab and Mr. Bachchan's films and later on Aamir and Salman and Shah Rukh Khan. I started as a model and also did TV shows but didn't enjoy acting then. After that I got busy with my music albums. Then I wanted to do something bigger and better so I came to Bollywood.

We keep hearing about the rift between Imran and you?
Whenever I read such stories I call up Imran and ask him what's happening. He says, 'don't worry people try and create rift between actors, don't take it seriously.' We have a very good relationship. We went out partying recently.

You didn't come for his wedding?
My brother-in-law was getting married the same day. In fact, I just got a text from Kiran (Rao). She is hosting a party for Imran and Avantika's wedding.

You were experiencing a lot of visa issues.
Not at all. I have a multiple entry visa. Normally it takes 40 days to renew it. I am thankful that the officers grant me the visa pretty quickly.

Do you see yourself shifting base to India?
I don't know. The decision depends on policies. Our families are there. If my work requires it I will go anywhere in the world.

Ayesha: I don't think a permanent shift is possible.

How are people in Pakistan reacting to your stint in Bollywood?
Eighty percent of them are very happy and a small percentage feel threatened that all our talent is going to India. For them I make a conscious effort to keep doing work there also. A minority is against the idea of Hindi films being shown there which I strongly oppose.

Why is the film industry in Pakistan not as good?
The government is against the entertainment industry. The music industry flourishes only because of the individuals. Basically the industry has gone to the dogs but there are a few people who can make a difference and are trying to do good work.

Ayesha, don't you get insecure about his female fan following?

Ayesha: I have known him for ten years and I have been through this entire thing in Pakistan.

Ten years is a long time. Doesn't love diminish after some time?
I think it grows with time. I don't think I would have survived with any woman for more than 10 days.

Did you flirt a lot with Katrina on the sets ?
No, who told you? We are all working together, chatting, playing the guitar.

Ayesha: Even our son is like him. If Sheila Ki Jawani is playing on TV our son is so mesmerised that he won't look anywhere else. So I can't blame Ali. By nature he is a little flirt. (Giggles)


No comments:

Post a Comment